Re: Air BnB
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 08:07:53 -0800 (PST)
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA. Our town of 8000 has many visitors, for
various festivals or simply to wander around and see the "Victorian Seaport"
and artsy or outdoor attractions. Two of our homes have extra space they rent
out via Air BnB. Usually folks who are just here for a couple of days. It seems
like a win-win. Travellers get homey accomodation for less than a hotel costs,
homeowners get helpful income, AND I see it as good PR for the cohousing
community. Many come not knowing about cohousing, and get a positive impression
as they meet friendly helpful neighbors, see our playground, orchards,
vegetable gardens and common facilities. I've had good conversations with
visitors and am writing up a 'What's RoseWind?" handout for the Air BnB hosts
to have available.

Once the City caught on to Air BnB, they kicked in various permit requirements.
My neighbors told me it cost them about $700 all together to get official. But
they had been doing it a while and knew it would bring in reliable income.

I can see how in a big city or very large coho it might be a concern, but here
it seems to work well.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org