reminder: Call for Articles: Communities #167: Food and Community
From: Communities Editor (editoric.org)
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:26:22 -0800 (PST)
Hello,

A reminder: /Communities/magazine is still seeking articles for issue #167, *"Food and Community."*The issue will be out in June 2015.

Please send your article idea to editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at] ic.org> by *Friday, December 26, 2014*.

Your final article must reach us by *Friday, February 20, 2015*.

1. Theme articles:***Food and Community*

 * How does food--its growing, its acquisition, its preparation, and/or
   its sharing--contribute to your sense of community?
 * Do certain methods of food production (organic, permacultural,
   biodynamic, hand-cultivated, animal-powered, etc.) align better than
   others with building healthy community?
 * How have you seen agriculture and culture influence one another?
 * What are your experiences growing food with others? Have you helped
   on farms or in community gardens, or invited volunteers/students
   into your own or your group's garden or farm?
 * Are you involved with an urban farm? If so, what are its effects on
   its constituents' sense of community, health, economic well-being,
   and quality of life?
 * How do people involved in growing food in your community relate to
   one another, and to the consumers of that food? Is food growing
   encouraged in your community?
 * How does food affect our relationship to the land?
 * Do you purchase (or otherwise acquire) food collectively? If so,
   does your community have guidelines about what kinds of food are
   acquired or consumed within your group?
 * Is it important to you to "eat locally"? If so, why? When does it
   makes sense to eat food from far away?
 * Do you share meal preparation with others? Do you live in a
   neighborhood or community where cooking duties are rotated among
   individuals or households?
 * Are you part of a group that eats together? How often do you eat
   alone, and how often with others? How does eating together build
   community?
 * Is food a political issue for you? For your group? What are the
   social, economic, ecological, ethical, spiritual impacts of our food
   choices and practices?
 * What can we learn from our own history, from other cultures, and
   from other species about the relationship of food to community?

Please remember that we are looking for stories, personal experiences, and concrete examples in your responses—these are what will make ideas and observations most "real" and relevant to readers.

[Please forward this email to anyone you think has a good story on this theme for /Communities/.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:

 *

   Creating community in your neighborhood;

 *

   Starting a new community;

 *

   Process and communication issues in community; and

 *

   Seeking community to join.

Suggested submission length is from 300 to 2500 words. We invite submissions ranging from short vignettes to extensively-developed articles, and also invite suggestions of recommended resources and article leads. We're seeking articles written in a reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather than in an academic style. We ask contributors to share stories and experiences, not just ideas; write about challenges, not just successes; and describe specific situations that will help your story come alive for the reader. Before you start writing, please checkic.org/submissions-to-communities-magazine or contact us for our full Writers' Guidelines--and let us know your article idea so that we can give feedback on how it may fit into /Communities/.Contact Chris Roth at editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at] ic.org>.

If you don’t want to write an article but want to submit photos, please check ic.org/submissions-to-communities-magazine or contact Yulia Zarubina at layout [at] ic.org <mailto:layout [at] ic.org> for our Photo Guidelines.

*I. What "Submitting an Article"**Means.*We will promise to read your article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit, shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we contact authors about this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

*II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time.*Please send the article only when you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community members. We endeavor to present a diversity of views on community, including controversial or critical views, in a respectful and cooperative manner. If your article may generate controversy or strong reactions, or if the group(s) would want the chance to review it, please share your draft with group members to get their input before sending it to us. (Please see our Writers' Guidelines for additional details.)

*III. Publication Rights.*Once your article appears in /Communities/, we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means your article appears in /Communities/the first time it appears in North America. In addition to appearing in /Communities/, your article may also appear on our website or in future compilations. You retain all other rights to it. If you'd like to use it elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an attribution line saying, "This article first appeared in /Communities: Life in Cooperative Culture/, (date); for further information on /Communities/: ic.org/communities-magazine-home."

*IV. Photos.*If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with compelling images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject best, so we are appealing to you for images. If others in your community or group like taking pictures, they might already have great images to go with your article. If you would like to submit an article but cannot supply photos, that's fine; however, please give us plenty of advance notice so that if we use your article we can get an illustrator. Please check ic.org/submissions to-communities-magazine or email us for our full Photo Guidelines. We also appreciate an author photo to accompany your short (several-line) author bio.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris Roth
Editor, /Communities/
editor [at] ic.org