Reluctant Cohousers
From: Maggie Dutton (maggieduttongmail.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 10:17:44 -0800 (PST)
We are part of a core group called Aldermuir, with an option on 20 acres in
Qualicum Beach, British Columbia.
We find when talking to people that a number of objections (sometimes
misconceptions) to living in cohousing come up over and over.
It would be great to hear from folks now living in a cohousing community
who had some of these concerns but went ahead.  Perhaps your spouse was the
one that was keen and you went along.
Stories of how it worked out for you after moving in would be so great to
help us overcome some of these objections.
Objections like:

   - ·       I like my privacy too much
   - ·       Strata Horror Stories
   - ·       Concerned about getting along with so many people
   - ·       Don’t like anyone telling me what to do
   - ·       Like lots of space around my place
   - ·       Could not stand having that many people around
   - ·       How affordable can it be when you have to pay a share of the
   common house too
   - ·       We need to move sooner than spring 2017

Perhaps the last two are deal breakers.  Any sharing of experiences will be
a big help as we talk to people about cohousing.

Maggie Dutton. www.aldermuir.ca