Re: A Glimps of Cohousing in 2060
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 08:33:56 -0800 (PST)
On Dec 24, 2014, at 8:44 AM, R Philip Dowds <rpdowds [at] comcast.net> wrote:

> Said another way … I agree that toleration of diversity and the end of
> oppression are much to be desired.  But I’m not convinced that consensus
> decision-making is the key to this challenge.

If it is used as an opportunity to understand and allow for diversity, it can
be. When objections are taken seriously and resolved instead of submerged or
over powered.

Unfortunately, subversion or overpowering is to often used, consciously or
unconsciously. The majority wants you to consent for the "good of the
community," one of my pet peeves. The "good of the community" is most often
raised when the majority unites against the "holdouts" or the "blockers." Is it
ever defined before discussion starts?

That is one reason why I would like to see preference ratings use more often.
Even if it isn't used to make the final decision, it can be very revealing of
where individuals stand on a spectrum of I can live with this or I think this
is a good idea.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines