Re: Reluctant Cohousers
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 10:01:42 -0800 (PST)
I think the point is that cohousing is not for everyone.  In fact, it is not
for most people.  The considerable majority of Americans (and Canadians?)
dream, not of communal living, but of a bigger and better single family home.
No amount of explanation will persuade them into a different lifestyle.

So what you have to do is find people who want to live in community.  Maybe
because they’ve done it before.  Maybe because they have friends who live that
way.  Maybe because they “get it”, or because they’re “ready”.  Maybe because a
lifestyle change will help them solve a particular problem.

Ultimately, it’s like adopting a child.  The technical problems are enormous,
but if you want a child, you can solve them.  If you don’t want a child, then
there is no way to streamline or safeguard the adoption process that will make
it appealing to you.

RPD