Re: Reluctant Cohousers
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 14:15:17 -0800 (PST)
Hello Maggie!

Congrats on beginning your cohousing adventure.

These objections are sometimes just fears of the unknown.  Cohousing now has
quite a track record so educating oneself is a whole lot easier than i the
“early days.”  You don’t have to reinvent the wheel.

The very best action to take to dispel fears is to visit other built cohousing
communities.  If you haven’t done this already … do plan a Road Trip to
communities in British Columbia.   Nothing like reality to answers
concerns/fears.

How affordable is cohousing?   In dollars … my experience is it’s about the
same as whatever neighborhood in which you are located.  Maybe a little less
expensive.  But what I get for my dollars far exceeds what I could buy on my
own.  To wit, in terms of shared resources … on my own, I wouldn’t have a tenth
of what I have in my community:  very large space in the CH for parties,
events, work related events.  A LR w/ a big screen TV, guest rooms so I don’t
have to own an extra bedroom, an office, laundry facilities, a work shop, hot
tub, etc. etc. etc.  In terms of social resources … priceless.  A power
wheelchair rider, I could live independently on my own but it would be so much
harder.  I would spend all my waking hours just maintaining my physical self.
In cohousing, the support of neighbors results in hours I can spend giving back
to the community.  It’s all reciprocal.  A never ending celtic knot of giving
and receiving.

Just to build on something Jerry alluded to in his email  … Sometimes we hear a
few people voicing concerns and think it’s pervasive.  Don’t get distracted and
go down a rabbit hole trying to make this process so “safe” for everyone that
you get diverted and trapped.  Helping people understand that each of them will
have the same say in the organizing, building and running of the community will
help dispel fears.  Distinguishing between perceived risk and real risk helps
keep things in perspective and rooted in reality.

Your intention is to build on 20 acres.  What size community are you
considering?  How many units?  Attached?  Detached?  Knowing some of this will
dispel some fears of some people.  How you construct your condo documents —what
you call Strata in Canada — will mitigate many others.

As a reference point, here at Takoma Village in Washington, DC we are 43
households on 1.43 acres — a very dense, urban development of stacked 1 to 4 BR
units.  If one homeowner has a leak … we all have a leak.  Twenty acres is
enough for 15 of our cohousing communities!!!    I like the close knit nature
of our built and social environment.   Happily. there are many cohousing
communities of many types to serve all who seek.

Of course, there are always issues in cohousing — we’re just people trying out
something different.  We come with all the same warts and baggage as the rest
of humanity.  We aren’t special.  We aren’t saints.  We aren’t anything except
the same bi-pedal carbon-based life forms found in every other community.  We
just have an idea about living together and are willing to try it out.

In the beginning … look for the “pioneers”  — folks with a greater tolerance
for risks.  But don’t dismiss the “settlers” — you will need them for
stability!

Good luck to you.  Let us know how you progress.

BTW — you have one of the great architects of cohousing in Canada right in BC,
no?  Ronaye Matthew.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing