Re: house concerts
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 08:30:42 -0800 (PST)
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA.
Writer from Songaia refers to an in-house talent-optional show, in response to
the inquiry about "house concerts". Here, we use the latter term for
performances by artists from outside the cohousing community, sometimes local
musicians, sometimes folks from out of town. We've had such gatherings about
three times a year, I'd say. Our dining room, set up theater style, seats about
60.

As we don't simply rent out our common house as a venue (for anything), a house
concert, like any not-just-RoseWind event at the common house, needs a member
sponsor. A sponsor must be present start to finish, including set up and clean
up, and is responsible for all the details: house rules (no pets, no street
shoes, no fragrances, alcohol not left unattended but taken home after the
event), orderly parking, exit aisles, heat, resetting the furniture, left and
lost: there's a whole checklist.

Because being a sponsor for a concert is a fair amount of work,  the sponsor
typically has some personal connection to the performers or type of music. So
in that regard it wouldn't be just a matter of a series of performers making a
tour of cohousing venues, and just having a date for a show. So I don't think
we'd be a good place for that. On the other hand, if a particular performing
group is popular in cohousing circles, and is doing shows around the Puget
Sound/ Seattle area, they could contact us to see if someone would be motivated
to do the work of sponsoring them.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
at RoseWind, where December sees lots of common house use: Audubon Bird Count
party, English Country Dancing, Quaker holiday potluck, gatherings of
individual families or groups of friends, the usual meetings --of our
committees and business meeting, political issue groups, art group, choral
group, meals 2x week --plus our holiday party and gift exchange, Dec 25 big
organized potluck with friends and family, New Year's Eve snacks and games,