Re: House Concerts
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 10:44:03 -0800 (PST)
Barbara:

the pitfalls are huge for people concerned with legality, but small for those
that take that question lightly. In the boston area we have the "Boston Area
Coffee House Association" which is locations (mostly churches) that offer
concerts on a regular basis. At the same time many folk in the area have "house
concerts" in their homes.

We choose at Mosaic to call our events house concerts. We ask for a donation
(rather than charge a fee) and don't serve alcohol or charge for food. We
believe that keeps us under the radar for any obligations.

Some performers ask for a minimum fee, Ken and I have personally made up the
difference between the donations and the fee when that was the case (once I
think). Because we offer the guest room for free (that is, ken and I use our
guest room allowance) to the artist, that is often sufficient to make one
accept only donations--especially if they had a bigger gig in the area the day
before.

I assume this is the stuff to be discussed in forming a network, plus, I hope
connections to artists that want to come perform at our location.

-Liz
Elizabeth M. Magill
www.mosaic-commons.org
in berlin, MA