Re: House Concerts
From: Michael Barrett (mbarretttoast.net)
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 14:34:49 -0800 (PST)
I used to feel sad for the performers at house concerts with small audiences,
feeling embarrassed that the room wasn't packed with people (even though I had
nothing to do with organizing the event).  But talking with a house concert
musician about this, here at Shadowlake Village Cohousing, I was surprised (and
relieved) when he said it was just fine, they enjoyed house concerts because
they were small and intimate, that they, the performers, felt (and were) closer
to the audience - who had come deliberately to listen to them - and it was
better than playing in smoke-filled bars where most of the crowd didn't know or
care who they were, and often weren't even listening.
Monetarily I don't know how it works out, but I could believe that an
appreciative audience, even if small, has value to a performer.

Michael at Shadowlake Village Cohousing, Blacksburg, VA  - where Muriel has
already shared the news (below)