Re: A Glimps of Cohousing in 2060
From: David Heimann (heimanntheworld.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 08:17:12 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

One key part of consensus is that it be given the time it needs to develop. Most of the few times there's been a block at JP Cohousing has been where a proposal has been pushed to a call for consensus because of a feeling that "time is of the essence". At that point others felt they were being railroaded when they weren't ready to make a decision so that they blocked in self-defense, as it were, with the intention of making sure the discussion continued.

With respect to people coming in for the first time at the end of the discussion with last-minute objections, we have a process where it takes at least three meetings to discuss and pass a proposal, the first being a discussion and collection of inputs, the second being a discussion of a specific proposal, and the third being a final discussion and call for consensus. In between the first/second meetings and the second/third meetings, we provide opportunities to comment and discuss, either through e-mail, community conversations (an informal non-decison-making get-together where the proposal is the sole topic), or other public or private means. If someone raises a new objection at the third meeting, they had better have a good reason why they found their voice only that late.

Regards,
David Heimann
Jamaica Plain Cohousing