Re: participation in decision making
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 08:57:55 -0800 (PST)
On Jan 8, 2015, at 8:10 AM,

> Diana Leafe Christian <diana.leafe.christian [at] gmail.com>
> Several years ago a resident of Two Acre Wood cohousing, the late
> architect Michael Black, observed that in cohousing in the US, by the
> time of move-in, 80% of the residents had not been there when the core
> group and architect designed the community -- they had not
> participated in the design at all but they still wanted cohousing.

I wonder what his criteria were for participating in design. Or of those where
there at move-in.

While only a small team worked directly with the developer, everyone had
continual updates and discussions about specific decisions in almost weekly
meetings. The 80% number sounds more like the number of people who dropped out
during the process from the first meeting to move in. At move-in we only had
one unit not sold and that one was under contract.

Ann Zabaldo would remember more accurately, but I only remember 2-3 households
who joined rather late, in the last few months. They were still very involved
in the design process as we chose furniture, kitchen stuff, fabrics, made final
decisions on what to complete, etc.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
Save Our Planet. It's the only one with chocolate.