Extending Membership
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 12:20:46 -0800 (PST)
Extending membership:
In our long-built community, membership, with its rights and responsibilities,
is defined by property ownership here. We now have a situation where a new
household -- very participatory -- includes one partner who doesn't happen to
be a legal co-owner of the property. We are looking at coming up with a policy
that an Owner/Member can "sponsor" eligibility for membership rights for one or
two people who live on their property and want to participate. Being thus
designated by a Sponsor would qualify the Sponsored Member to participate as an
equal in decision making, count in a quorum, have full use of common
facilities, hold office in the organization, etc. as long as the Sponsor
continued to support that, as long as the residency continued. Seems like a
good solution for domestic partners, enthusiastic renters or housemates. We
will be discussing this, and I wonder if anyone would like to point out
potential glitches we should think about?

As far as getting people we wouldn't have chosen, this is already the case with
our open-market real estate: we do our best to inform potential buyers, but in
no way can prevent Just Anybody from buying a resale and joining us. So adding
the possibility of someone's girlfriend or housemate not pleasing us doesn't
seem like a major risk.

Our assessments are per household, and such sponsored members would be
considered part of the Sponsor's household.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
www.rosewind.org
where our coho and the neighboring EcoVillage will be just minutes away from
the newly-forming Quimper Village Senior Cohousing project which is making
solid progress!