Re: Extending Membership
From: Ken Winter (kensunward.org)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 12:56:05 -0800 (PST)
At Sunward we have long had "associate members", which are very much like
the "sponsored members" Lynn describes.  To become an associate member, you
have to be initially sponsored by an owner-member but once accepted your
associate membership no longer depends on your sponsor.  You have full
rights to participate in all community activities, including developing and
discussing proposed community agreements.  However, in all community
decisions (community meeting decisions and elections to the board of
directors), the entity that gets a vote (or the right to block) is an owned
unit, and the official decider for each unit is its owner(s).  Any impact a
renter or other non-owner resident has on the unit's vote is purely at the
discretion of the unit's owner(s).  This has worked quite well for 15
years.

Lately some energy has arisen to give non-owners more equality with owners
in decision-making - specifically, to go to a one-person-one-vote decision
rule (rather than one-unit-one-vote) for at least some community
decisions.  In addition to shifting the owner/non-owner balance, this would
also shift the balance in favor of households with many people vs those
with few.  I'd be interested to hear what other communities do on this
matter.

~ Ken, from Sunward Cohousing, Ann Arbor MI

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah <welcome [at]
olympus.net>