Re: wifi in common house
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 12:02:18 -0800 (PST)
> On Jan 12, 2015, at 12:16 PM, dlbehrens [at] comcast.net wrote:

> Have you felt you needed to get insurance in case of misuse or hacking?

Why would the community be liable for this? It would be just like anyone's
personal connection.

We once had a problem with an illegal download of Friday Night Lights. A
warning to the community and it stopped. An inside job. We do have a guest (no
password) wifi in the CH.

> Have you felt you needed parental controls?

The controls go on the device being used to access the internet, not on the
wifi or a wired connection.

> Any other things we should think about regarding wifi - pitfalls of one sort
> or another?

Our whole community is on the same service. Our only  problem has been a sense
of helplessness when the tech people are not in town or don't know there is a
problem. Although one tech person called in from a mountain and walked his back
up people through the process.

Another is delaying too long in upgrading the capacity because more and more
people are streaming and gaming.

Instead of asking people to limit usage (unenforceable and creates suspicions)
we have chosen to upgrade service and increase capacity when needed.

1. The cost for two business class modems is very far below what we would each
pay individually for residential service.
2. It is faster than each household could pay for alone, and we have business
service so we get better and faster service that the residential service.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC