Re: Getting started guide / FAQ?
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 05:31:43 -0800 (PST)
Good morning Jean!

The answer to your question depends on a number of critical factors.

How quickly the group forms itself into a working group

 How much access you have to capital

How quickly you find an appropriate site

And whether or not you are working with a professional who can help you
navigate the complexities of building multifamily housing. Development is a
very complicated business. Sometimes I think brain surgery is easier. For sure
I can tell you working with a professional will make it a lot easier save you
money and time and a whole lot of stress.

From my own experience I've worked with groups trying to do self-development
and I've worked with groups using a developer. Using a developer the timeline
has been about 29 months. I know some communities have done it faster than that
with a professional. Not using a professional I know many groups bite the dust
early or on or have taken many many many many years to complete their
community.  One community in which I am still a partner is going into year
number 15 or 16. And ditto another community I know about.

The annals of cohousing are littered with the tales of communities that didn't
make it or underwent torturous paths to completion.

Good luck and keep those questions coming! That's what this list is for. But do
your homework and check the archives first. Many of your answers will be found
there.

Sent from my iPhone