Re: Getting started guide / FAQ?
From: Jerry McIntire (jerry.mcintiregmail.com)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 11:22:41 -0800 (PST)
Jean, my experience participating in more than one group is that it takes
an average of three to five years. Or never! Some groups dissolve without
building.

As Ann said, profe$$ional help will save some time. I want to mention that
there is often an assumption that multi-family residences will be built, or
that all the homes will be built at the same time, or have the same
designer. That's one model of cohousing development. Another is the lot
development model. Lots are laid out, infrastructure and a common house put
in, and the lots are sold to fund it all. Then individual households build
their own houses. Whether owner-built or contracted, they can be unique and
the first ones can be built sooner than if the community waits for all the
members and their money to be on board. Which of course is the model we are
pursuing at Stone's Throw Ecovillage in Wisconsin.

Jerry