Re: Lot development walkability [was: Getting started ...
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 20:47:26 -0800 (PST)
I suspect you're right, Fred, that lot-development cohousing isn't as
densely built. We have a mix of duplexes, single-family houses, and a small
row of narrow townhouses. Buildings (whether single, duplexed, or the
townhouse row and its neighboring houses) are about 20 feet apart. We're on
three "streets" that converge on common areas including the CH.

You have to build what your local housing market will support. This is a
semi-rural college town and most non-students want a house with some land
around it. I don't know if we could have succeeded with all contiguous
units or flats. But we may well be a little bit less "cohousy" than more
compact communities.
   Muriel at Shadowlake Village, Blacksburg VA