Re: Lot development walkability [was: Getting started ...
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 10:13:10 -0800 (PST)
> On Jan 17, 2015, at 11:42 AM, Jerry McIntire <jerry.mcintire [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Muriel has hit the nail on the head. The local market largely determines
> the housing mix. We are in an entirely rural area and small lots are a big
> step for most people here. Still, we plan to put all 15 houses on less than
> 4 acres and to have a few plexes. Proximity and the common house will
> foster plenty of interaction.

Proximity is important but it takes more than that. Particularly for those who
can walk around it.

The mail area in the CH is often mentioned as something that requires people to
go in the CH every day. When we moved in and didn't have mailboxes yet, I was
the mail drop. I got very anxious about the people who picked up their mail
only once a week, if that. Many only every 3-4 days.

When I recently oversaw the CH interior painting, I was shocked at the number
of people for whom it was a surprise that they couldn't hold their movement and
yoga classes because the place was covered with scaffolding and drapes. And
that didn't see any of the messages explaining what was happening each day. It
wasn't a huge number, 5-6, but those are only the one's I knew about because
they were upset for one reason or another. The painting went on for 3 weeks and
they were clueless. We don't have anyone who is 'dead-spot' in the community --
everyone is connected socially to some group of members -- but not to the
commonhouse unless they attend some specific special event.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC