Re: Handling donations
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 20:03:47 -0800 (PST)
We've moved from the initial "we'll take anything!" stage when the CH was new and needed everything and members still had a lot of stuff from their own move-ins to unload, to now requiring prior approval from the Common House Committee. If some new item were to just show up, the committee would decide if it should stay or go. If someone were to place overly restrictive conditions on some item, I expect the Committee would say "no thanks".

No one has donated anything as valuable (and problematic) as a hot tub, although we did accept a piano that requires us to pay for tuning it on some regular basis.

The CH kitchen is often the site of unprovoked donations of items of dubious usefulness, which may end up on our monthly giveaway bench if the Kitchen Subcommittee feels these items don't deserve to take up space in the kitchen. (And it has happened that some good-citizen member sees such an item on the giveaway bench and kindly donates it to the kitchen all over again. It's like the cat came back, the very next day.)

    Muriel at Shadowlake Village Cohousing, Blacksburg VA