Re: Handling donations
From: Jessie Kome (jehakomac.com)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 15:49:21 -0800 (PST)
Hi-

You packed a lots of related issues into your donation question. Here are some
thoughts on 1) donations of furnishings, 2) donations of things that have
operating costs, and 3) cash.

I have lived in two cohousing neighborhoods that have discussed these issues
and figured out different ways to tackle them. I think Eno Commons, also in
Durham, did a neat job on their policy for cash donations to purchase things
and to get projects done, and I hope an EC’er pops up to explain it.

At Eastern Village Cohousing, where I have lived for about a decade, most of
the donations in the first group (furnishings) are handled by the steward of
the room or space where the item would go. The community set a policy that the
community aesthetic would be “folk-art funky”, and requires that the fire
regulations be observed. The community also programmed the rooms (dining room,
living room, kitchen) and so forth. It is up to the room steward to keep the
room useful and either get donations or propose a purchase to the community.

The second group generally requires the community to agree to accept an item
because, at EVC, money decisions for ongoing costs belong to the group. In the
case of a hot tub in common space, there are also insurance and liability
issues that, at EVC, belong to the community and would need agreement. We have
an annual community benefit process (sort of a capital budgeting/project
approval time), and sometimes handle one-offs in our membership meetings for
more urgent items. Usually, the steward or someone is championing accepting and
installing the item.

Donations of cash we handle in a few ways. We tried to set a policy that would
not make people with less money feel as if a neighbor with more money was
taking away any resident’s participation in community decisions. The main
policy is that anyone may bring a proposal to the membership meeting. If the
community has agreed at some point in the year that a project is worthwhile and
has a champion, the project is added to the list of possible community benefit
projects. We have an annual event that is sort of like the budget fair
described in the cohousing-l archives (maybe by Rob Sandelin, long ago?).
Everyone who wants to participate helps divide up the total amount in the
community benefit fund. Anyone may donate cash to the community benefit process
as a whole, or to any of the projects on the list.  But the community as a
whole decides what projects are on the list.

I hope this helps a little. Approaching these discussions as a way to learn
about your neighbors’ feelings and thoughts about money is a great way to build
and strengthen community. Really.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Where I lost my mind last night and volunteered to help redesign our common
kitchen.”