Re: handling donations
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 09:21:48 -0800 (PST)
> On Jan 20, 2015, at 1:38 PM, Susan Coberly <susandgeorge [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I like the idea of asking the donor if they want it back when it is no
> longer useful to the community.

I like this too. I've seen things I've donated to the kitchen, for example,
later out on a giveaway table with no notice to me. I was able to take them
back but an hour later and they would have been in a thrift shop.

Also, sometimes people want to give things away without an understanding of
what the piece means to the community. New people have often cleaned out
drawers and toys because they seemed cluttered and things not used.
Straightening is one thing -- discarding another. The stuff was important and
used a lot. One person took all the infant chairs to the thrift shop because we
had no infants. We now have three and need them back. The thrift store only has
them occasionally so we have to keep going back to get them. And they are not
as nice as the ones that had been donated when the last babies outgrew them.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC