Re: handling donations
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 10:21:21 -0800 (PST)
> On Jan 21, 2015, at 1:09 PM, R Philip Dowds <rpdowds [at] comcast.net> wrote:
>

> Do you mean literally, one person?  That is, a single individual acting
> alone, without reference to any community-recognized group officially charged
> with indoor pruning?  Is this really a problem of failing to check with the
> donor of origin (an identity often lost to institutional memory) — rather
> than a unilateral behavior out of sync with communal policy?

It has happened with no notice to the community. There might have been someone
present who said, that is fine. We have people who think the person in charge
of a room should be able to do whatever they want. In an effort to get people
to take charge, some people want them to have absolute authority.

One of the things that discourages action is having to go through what I
believe is becoming a bureaucracy. People want everyone who wants to do
anything to come to their meeting and it usually takes two meetings for them to
make a decision. At two meetings a month that means at least a month to get
permission from a team. Then the action may require approval of the membership.
Wait for a membership meeting.

We used to do much more decision-making on email. Part of the problem is
fatigue. I hope it is temporary, but administering a community of 87 people is
hard. Particularly when everyone wants to either be involved in all decisions
or can't be bothered--until it affects them.

We were much easier to govern when we were smaller.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC