Re: handling donations
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 10:56:25 -0800 (PST)
At Mosaic Commons, we have "room teams" that are in charge of, among other
things, deciding what stuff goes or stays in a room.  Everyone is
encouraged to join room teams if they care strongly about what happens in
that room.  Most of the teams do a lot of their discussion in email (that
goes just to the team), so interested folks can join the team and therefore
know if their favorite Hoojiwhatsit is on the chopping block.

This year the Kids' Room team did a massive clean-out, because the sheer
volume of toys in the room made it hard to keep clean, and a lot of the
toys didn't align well with the ages and interests of the kids who frequent
the room.  As a team, they did have the authority to make that decision
without input from the whole plenary, and that makes total sense to me.  I
think there were people who cared about the toys who objected, but
personally I think this team system encourages people to get involved with
caring for the areas of the community that are important to them.

There are limits.  By policy, if a room team wants to make a permanent
change (like installing shelves, which requires mounting hardware on the
wall) they need to post plans and get a period of time for community
input.  If they want to make  *structural change* (like adding a wall or
cutting a window) they'd need approval of the Trustees.  And if their plans
required a substantial amount of money, they'd need plenary approval for
the expense.

But overall, it seems to work well to delegate managing room decisions to
the people most invested in the activity in that room: cooks on the Kitchen
Team; parents on the Kids Room Team; and fitness buffs on the Exercise Room
Team.

Diana