Re: Exterior Maintenance in Condo Coho
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 13:21:02 -0800 (PST)
If your units are attached, I don't see any feasible, or at least simply
feasible, way to make individual homeowners responsible.

Most townhouse style condos here in New England, whether cohousing or not,
make exterior maintenance an HOA responsibility.

I'm not sure I understand the question "how do you determine assessment of
fees".  The answer to that question doesn't really relate to whether the
HOA assumes building maintenance or not.  The HOA will have expenses that
are common, whether it's building maintenance, lot maintenance, insurance,
plowing or whatever.  Those expenses are planned for in a budget, and the
budget is divided up among your residence according to the rules in your
HOA formation.  I think most often that's a percentage based on square
footage, but could also be done as a flat percentage for all units, or
based on some other formula.

If you are curious how we do it, Mosaic Commons's condo docs are here:
http://mosaic-commons.org/condodocs
(Look at the Mosaic ones specifically.)