Re: Exterior Maintenance in Condo Coho
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 10:58:54 -0800 (PST)
Cornerstone Cohousing (Cambridge, MA) is a condo association under Mass law.
But the important point is that we’re built high density:  23 apartments in two
buildings, plus conjoined townhouses and duplexes.  In general, everybody’s
roof and siding belongs to everyone else.  Design, remodelings (e.g., a roof
window) and paint colors are all controlled by the community.  So the community
(the Association) owes everybody a sound roof, tight siding, and fresh paint.

The cost of keeping the place up is divided among the 32 households according
to “percentage interest”, which is pretty much the same as percentage of
private habitable square feet. The challenge is getting everyone to agree on
quality and frequency of maintenance:  Some people want to paint every eight
years, some, every fifteen or twenty, or maybe not often at all (“Gee, it
doesn’t really look all *that* bad …”).  When the roof leaks, do you patch it?
Again?  When is it time to bite the bullet and get a new roof — and, do you
upgrade the shingles or not?  But these conversations are typical for all
condominiums, not just cohousing.

However, I have seen cohos that are mostly single family homes, each designed
to suit a specific household — sometimes within an overall design style,
sometimes entirely at the preference of the occupant.  In such cases, exterior
maintenance may be more the duty of the owner than the community — but I don’t
know this for sure.

R Philip Dowds
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5
Cambridge, MA 02140