Re: Development budget (broad strokes)
From: Chris ScottHanson (cscotthansonmac.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 10:16:53 -0800 (PST)
Peter, and Sharon,

I rarely disagree with Sharon but I do here.

I have found that banks are not a good source of referrals to local development
professionals.  It's very hard to find the right person at the bank. No one
wants to refer you up the food chain because they all want credit for a new
client.  They are inclined to sell you their loan product and in doing so they
are only inclined to tell you what they think you want to hear. In other words
they often don't tell you the whole truth as you might see the truth.

When I parachute into a new location doing land search work, which I have done
all over North America, I start with a local lumberyard.  Why a lumberyard?
Objectivity.   I ask to speak to the accounts receivable person. Then I ask the
A-R person if they can recommend a couple of really good contractors, their
best clients, contractors who buy a lot and pay on time. Contractors who
survived the recession.  They are very happy to share these referrals to their
best customers because it helps their business long-term.  I do this with at
least two lumberyards.

Then I call the contractors on the shortlist and ask for their referrals to
local housing developers who have been successful, and have been in business
for a long time.  While I'm at it, I also ask if they could recommend any
architects, especially old-time architects who may have just retired.  I find
old time architects are the most honest and candid of the development industry
professionals, the most willing to tell it like it is, and the most willing to
tell stories about who is good, who is marginal and who avoid.

Always when doing this kind of research I look for overlap, referrals to the
same person or same organization from more than one source. It's amazing what
you can figure out over the phone in a matter of a few hours.  Of course it
does help that I can speak their language after 39 years in the multi-family
housing industry.

Boston and north, you might try:
Patti Lautner or Stew Mayer, (508) 962-4721
 Partners at, Communitas Development <http://communitasdevelopment.com/who/>
Bill Glasser (781) 376-1801  (multifamily contractor who built JP Cohousing)
Tim McHale (617) 797-1129 (very experienced clerk of the works)

If I can be of help let me know.

Chris ScottHanson
Urban Cohousing Associates, Inc. <http://www.urbancohousingassociates.com/>
Land Acquisition, Development Consulting & Project Management
Ecovillages, Cohousing & Sustainable Communities

Fifth Street Commons <http://fifthstreetcommons.com/>
PO Box 1288
Langley, WA  98260

(206) 601-7802 cell

Author of:  The Cohousing Handbook - BUILDING A PLACE FOR COMMUNITY
Available from Amazon.com new, used and as an eBook.