Tiny Houses for elder singles and couples.
From: VAN DEIST (vandeistmsn.com)
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 05:28:53 -0800 (PST)
I'm Van Deist, President, HomeShare Florida in Sarasota, FL.  I and my
organization have been involved in Universal Design, visitability, independent
living, shared housing, and elder cohousing issues for several years.  After
six years working unsuccessfully to eastablish an elder cohousing community in
Sarasota County, our attention turned towards the many, many elders living
alone or as couples.

I have helped design a downsized, 1BR, 1BA, w/c accessible cottage in which a
single person or couple could age-in-place nicely.  Its construction of
Structural Insulated Panels (SIP's) makes for a storm resilient home that is
energy-efficient & termite resistant and that has vaulted ceilings throughout
which help belie the cottage's small floorplan.

Whether one is just taking care of oneself; taking are of another; or receiving
care, this is an environment which helps facilitate the activities of daily
living.

Borrowing the community spirit learned through our cohousing experience,
HomeShare Florida is attempting to develop "pocket neighborhoods" of 1BR, 1BA &
2BR, 2BA cottages in a cluster.  We see the residents interacting,
communicating, and having a willingness to be "neighborly neighbors" who might
provide support to one another and/or share the cost of common needs.

Admittedly, ours is a nitche market made up of elders who prefer to live in a
stand-alone home within a potentially, tight-knit community in which one might
find mutual support and socialization.  I know that I am one of these, and I
plan to move into the first neighborhood that we develop.

Point being that study plans for these cottages are available at no charge for
those of you who might have further interest.  vandeist [at] msn.com