Re: [C-L] Common house design, rooms, and room sizes?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 05:43:35 -0800 (PST)
Prudent frugality and income diversity are worthy goals sought and obtained by
many cohos; if that’s your path, you are hardly alone.

But be realistic about money as well.  A big divide in disposable income, with
a few households facing real difficulty in paying their proportionate share,
can become a chronic problem.  Better to face it squarely now, rather than be
surprised about it when you move in.  And, there is no reason to expect that
cohousing will be “cheap”.  Most of your costs are development and property
related, and they will be about the same as for the “for profit” complex or
neighborhood across the way.  If you have households that can’t afford much
housing in the conventional market, they probably can’t afford much cohousing
either.

Up to you, of course, to decide how “much” is “too much”.

RPD