Re: [C-L] Common house design, rooms, and room sizes?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 07:36:33 -0800 (PST)
“Large” condo and subdivision projects often can, and do, include a few
“below-market” unit options.  Basically, these are subsidized to the extent
that the market-rate units pay a little more, to help write down the costs of
the below-market units.  In Cambridge, MA, this has been institutionalized as
“inclusionary zoning”:  If you want a special permit for large multi-family,
then you must turn over to a City-managed limited equity program 10% of your
units.

And that number — 10% — is key.  Much more than that, and the subsidy
over-burden on the market units becomes too great, and the project becomes
un-sellable, or un-financeable.

If I read your paragraph correctly, you are thinking about a 200% over-burden.
I can’t picture how this will work for the 12 households buying in at
market-plus.  And I don’t think that’s what you really mean.  Say more about
your definition of “affordable”.

RPD