Common house design, rooms, and room sizes?
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 14:16:12 -0800 (PST)
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 08:25:10 -0500
Douglas McCarroll list.cohousing-l.001 [at] brightworks.com  wrote:

Subject: Re: [C-L]_ [C-L] Common house design, rooms, and room sizes?

[A few of you have suggested, or asked whether we've done, a common house
survey.

Yes, we have. Mary Kraus of Kraus-Fitch Architects has led us in a series of
workshops and one of these workshops was focused on our common house. IMO these
workshops were extremely helpful.

In our common house workshop Mary recommended that we have a common house with
at least 3500 square feet of space. (We have 32 households in our community.)
We ended up with 4500 square foot design, and this was after a somewhat painful
prioritization process. In other words, we had more needs
and desires than our budget would allow, and we felt the 4500 feet was as high
as we could go. But we ended up with a design that we felt was 'mostly
finished' and 'mostly satisfactory'. At least, that's my sense of how the group
felt.

Then we learned that other aspects of our project (site infrastructure in
particular) are going to cost more than we'd estimated, and are facing the
prospect of unit prices going up ~10% on average. So now we're trying to be
creative and look at all possible avenues for cost reduction.

Several of you have suggested that we not skimp, and this sounds like good
advice. On the other hand we're concerned that higher prices could mean that
some people, including people that we already consider to be a part of our
community, may be priced out. So we need to be creative and balance competing
needs.]
I read your post on Cohousing-L today. Very interesting to me. In my
experience, a common house need to be in the range of 100 to 135 sq. feet per
household in the community, mostly constrained by your budget and schedule.

I worked with Sharon Villines, a frequent contributor to CH-L, on developing a
co-ho project in Delray Beach in 1999. I came in as a take-over project manager
long after the community design had been completed.
As it turned out, the project was designed without introspective consideration
of a budget. It was driven by aesthetic and emotional wants rather than
affordability and needs.
At the final decision point, it was considerably above the affordability level
and the members were so enamored of the grandiose design with which they had
fallen in love, that they were unwilling to accept redesign down to their level
of affordability.

I'm still developing cohousing with exactly the same challenge: but our issue
15 years later is completing a project with less expensive homes where the
infrastructure is already in place, lots are platted, and we primarily need to
produce affordable, smaller homes for a current market that has fewer children
and needs smaller homes than were originally constructed.

Http://www.libertyvillage,com

When we started Liberty Village, we were very sensitive to what we could
afford.  Our quandary was whether to build the first half of the community and
half of a common house, requiring later grading and utility extensions to
complete additional infrastructure before we could build another phase of
houses and complete the community. Our decision was to invest our money in
infrastructure for all 38 homes and postpone a common house to a later phase,
hopefully after we had built several homes and had replenished cash reserves
from lot sales.  Meanwhile we have been using temporary rented facilities for
community space.

Fortunately, our lender put a harness on our ambition and would lend us enough
for the infrastructure, but would not advance another $500,000 to build a
common house in advance of more lot sales.  We have been solvent since the
beginning, still are, and have 10 platted lots ready to build with sewer and
water taps readily available.   If your group is very interested in joining an
active functioning community which is very sensitive to incorporating
everyone's opinion, give us a call.

My budgetary perspective is that the total budget has to be based upon the
total home affordability of all the established and committed members. Of that
budget, 25% is the maximum for land, 15% is the maximum for the common house
and other front end capital facilities; leaving 60% for the homes and soft
costs which can be severe, depending upon how expensive the local government
levies will be upon your startup.  If you aren't staying within those
constraints, your budget is unrealistic and unaffordable.  A realistic budget
based upon needs is more important than trying to meet everyone's emotional
wants.

The quandary may be trying to balance needs and wants:
Maybe you need more members, but want to get started now?
Maybe you want larger homes, but can't afford them?
Maybe you built a grandiose common house because that was what you wanted, but
now can't afford the utility and maintenance expenses and are now faced with
growing capital costs for repairs?
Maybe your younger members have all moved on to colleges and now you need to
remodel homes for senior living accessibility, but that was not on the original
needs list?

Best wishes for more wisdom and foresight in planning your community. It will
be less expensive than hindsight.

Tom Lofft
Liberty Village, MD