Re: Governance & Income Inequality [ was Common house design, rooms, and room sizes?
From: Peter Goldstein (peterhansgoldsteingmail.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 17:20:23 -0800 (PST)
Jerome Garciano and Betsy Morris gave an excellent talk about building for
affordability at the Northeast Summit in '13. They may be your best bet for
detailed info on maximizing affordability.

My notes from the talk are only so good, but the gist is affordability is
served by a combination of internal and external strategies. The internal
strategies include building in a thrifty way, adjusting pricing so more
expensive units cover less expensive ones, and setting up separate
affordability funds. The external ones are going to depend on what state
and federal programs you're eligible for. The presentation lists:

Community development block grants
Low income housing tax credits
HOME investment partnerships program
Federal Private activity tax-exempt bonds for housing
Federal Housing Choice (Section 8) Vouchers

They upheld some examples as having done affordability well:
Elderspirit (Abingdon, VA)
Cambridge Cohousing (Cambridge, MA)
Petaluma Avenue Homes (Sebastopol, CA)
Troy Gardens (Madison, WI)