Re: Governance & Income Inequality [ was Common house design, rooms, and room sizes?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 05:50:18 -0800 (PST)
First off, a couple of things I recommend (based not so much on cohousing
experience, but rather life experience):
Don’t presume you know much about any household’s finances.  Some households
that complain consistently about expenses actually have more financial
flexibility than they let on.  While other households hanging on by their
fingernails suffer assessments in silence, trying to maintain their standing,
privacy and dignity.
Don’t invent a system that requires you to obtain evidence about a household’s
financial standing (like, for instance, a review of tax returns).  You
absolutely do NOT want to go anywhere near making communal judgments that
Household X can, or can not, “afford” something.
Having said all that …  At Cornerstone Cohousing, we believe (not know for
sure, but believe) that a few of our households are indeed operating within
very strict budgetary limits.  And these are not necessarily the ones in our
official, public-run “affordable” units.

Even so, a couple of years ago we agreed on about $67K (appx $2,000 per unit)
of discretionary capital improvements, and funded them as follows:
25% of the cost was levied as a mandatory special assessment on each unit.
This was actually adopted by consensus.
The remaining 75% was requested as a voluntary “fair share” payment.
Basically, we said, We’re all in this together, and we all should contribute
our fair share unless severe financial hardship results.  We left it to each
household to determine on its own what “severe” meant.
Results?
Most households just wrote out a check for 100%.  (This is why you should not
presume your neighbors are broke.)
A few households set up a multi-year time payment plan for their 100%.  And,
One household said, We really just can’t pay in full — and then wrote a check
for 50%.
The projects are now mostly complete.  And a good time was had by all.

RPD