Re: Governance & Income Inequality [ was Common house design, rooms, and room sizes?
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 06:45:06 -0800 (PST)
We have both HOA dues and Cohousing dues. HOA dues are based on the share a
household has of the community, and that is based on home price, and thus the
HOA dues are less for the affordable homes.

Then the cohousing dues are sliding scale. We put into the cohousing all
"optional" items, the washer dryer, the furniture in the common house, the
hottub maintenance, ch cleaning, etc. We calculate the average each year and
people pledge what they can pay... the minimum pledge is 5% of the average. If
we come in short we either ask folk to increase their pledge or we cut
something from the budget. So far so good, but we are new at this (going on six
years I think.)

And then our meals program is pay for the meals you sign up for. That team is
presently discussing creating a "good neighbor fund" for the occasional person
who has accrued a balance and has reported they are unable to pay.

The state program we used is "moderate affordability" so those homes were
priced for people who make 80% of the area median income. Many room for rent
folk make less than that.

Honestly we've agreed from the beginning that being financially diverse was one
of our goals. Even people who can afford better things are always asking if we
are keeping our expenses affordable for everyone in the group. We have issues
as to whether we really have equal participation, but the line is not based on
money...

We worried about this issue before move-in but our experience has been that the
financial differences between us are really not the fault lines.

-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
www.worcesterfellowship.org
www.mosaic-commons.org