Re: [C-L] Common house design, rooms, and room sizes?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 05:21:47 -0800 (PST)
What you “save” by postponing finishing some spaces you are likely to spend on
the “extras” of splitting your job into small pieces.

For people with time, energy and skills, self-finishing an interior can be a
way to save cash and share in a rewarding group achievement.  But let’s face
it:  The cost of finishing up a rough interior is only a small percentage of
total project costs, which inevitably include land, design and engineering,
permitting and legal instruments, site development, foundation, superstructure
and weatherizing envelope.  Most communities and projects will not find
self-finishing to be the difference between go and no go.

And if your unfinished common house stays unfinished for several years, this
can be a real drag on both your enjoyment and the continuing marketing effort.

RPD

PS:  I will say again: If you are looking for economical construction and
long-term operations, shun single families and duplexes.  Instead, put everyone
into two or three multi-family structures.  This is absolutely guaranteed to
save on site development and building construction costs.  But … will it
support a lifestyle you can accept?