Re: Governance & Income Inequality [ was Common house design, rooms, and room sizes?
From: Emilie Parker (emilie.v.parkergmail.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 06:28:08 -0800 (PST)
"everyone feels similar pain when
paying their dues" (Moz)

Pastor Liz's system for leveling the income gap in HOA fees and cohousing
dues seems healthy.  The HOA fee is egalitarian based on what they paid for
their homes -- and people who were qualified by the County for affordable
paid less. We will have market price homes and affordable homes.
Affordable is a county program to help people below 80% AMI.  They've told
us that the "affordable" designation is not attached to the home.  It's
attached to the person who qualified for a home.  I think that means that
any home could become affordable when the owner change or vice versa.  In
Mosaic Commons system each family decides what % of average they can afford
to pay for cohousings dues and that then influences the budget.  That's a
model that I will keep in mind.  The plan for our community is to have
affordable rentals owned and maintained by the County for cohousers.  Our
community is being built adjacent to a County affordable housing rentals
development where they are building around 200 affordable rentals for
seniors and families.  12 rentals will be adjacent to our 24 cohousing
homes inner compound but they will be on county property.  In due time we
need to figure out how the renters will be paying their share of the common
spaces and all the details of that.  We haven't sat down with the County to
finalize and agreements.  The time is coming in one or two months.

I love this discussion because I am learning so much from everyone's
posts.  My heart is filled with gratitude to be part of this list and for
everyone's sharing.

Emilie Parker
​​
emilie.v.parker [at] gmail.com