re income inequality
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 10:33:05 -0800 (PST)
Jerry requested a check-in from RoseWind. I hadn't responded since our fees are
rather low.

We have used a moderately sliding scale for assessments at RoseWind Cohousing
in Port Townsend. A household can request up to 20% reduction in annual
assessment. Of our 24 households, about 5 take advantage of this. As the number
requesting it has held steady for some years, we include the offset as a line
item in the annual budget, so about $40 of my fee, for example, supports this
option. It's not a huge differential for the recipients, about $200 a year
($160 really, as we all pay for the subsidy line item). We let people claim
financial hardship  by their own standards; we only specify that this may not
be used as an expression of disapproval of all or part of the budget. Our
annual assessment covers reserves and common operating expenses; people pay all
costs of maintenance on their own homes. Our assessment is only about $1100 a
year, in part because we do not have to pay for snow removal or leaf raking, or
road maintenance, for example, and also because we do a lot of the work
ourselves, with work parties pitching in on landscape tasks, common house
cleaning, playground maintenance, and the like.

People with less money would most likely buy one of our less-expensive homes:
our houses are all different, and range from 800 sf to 2800sf, from pre-fab to
very custom. Two of our homes were built with support from Habitat for
Humanity. Our common expenses are distributed on an equal basis, by household.
This has seemed to work.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org