Re: Governance & Income Inequality
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 05:00:03 -0800 (PST)
At Cornerstone, we have something of the same problem with the four affordable
limited equity homeownership units, resale of which is managed by the City, for
the benefit of households selected according to criteria of the subsidy
program.  Most “low income” households moving into Cornerstone are looking for
affordable accommodations with convenient access to decent schools and jobs.
They are not looking for a cohousing experience — indeed, have never heard of
cohousing — and accordingly, don’t always integrate readily with the cohousing
lifestyle.  Cornerstone is prohibited by fair housing laws from “interfering”
with the City’s selection and placement process.

And yet … Cambridge, MA, is famous for its socioeconomic diversity and
fine-scale integration — which is to say that, in most parts of the City, the
well-educated and well-off live within shouting distance (no disparagement
intended) of the limited income or near-poor.  Block by block, we’re all
scrambled up.  At City Council meetings, it’s not unusual to see widely
divergent cohorts conversing, or even pushing the same issue.  So the City, and
much of its residency, is committed to hunting for ways to bridge the gaps
between rich and poor.

I personally am opposed to segregated living:  Not just segregation by
ethnicity, of course, but also segregation by age or by income or by special
needs.  Multi-generational, mixed income cohousing is definitely a challenge,
but one worth working on.  As the somewhat sad tale of Petaluma indicates.  We
fill entire buildings or neighborhoods with problematic households — then
wonder why these “communities” behave like nuclear reactors without damper rods.

RPD