Re: Carpet and pad assemblies to assist in acoustic separation of units.
From: Bob Morrison (rhmorrisonaol.com)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 06:45:58 -0800 (PST)

Deborah Carey (boiester [at] gmail.com) wrote:

  At Oakleigh Meadow Cohousing in Eugene, we're interested in knowing what
carpet/pad products have performed best when used to acoustically separate
upstairs units from downstairs ones.  (Not if they work but which ones work
best.)   Anyone out here with any knowledge on this, we'd appreciate hearing.
[end quote]
  IMO even the best soundproofing wall-to-wall carpet and pads won't solve this
problem, because noise will travel thru the structure of the building both from
upstairs units to downstairs and the reverse. On first-floor units you will
also get a lot of noise from wastewater going down the pipes from the unit
above. And note that a future homeowner of the upstairs unit might replace the
wall-to-wall carpet with hardwood floors. (This is actually happening here at
Mosaic Commons.)
  I would advise you to find and hire a good acoustical engineer to find a real
solution to noise carrying between stacked units. Are you early enough in the
design process that this is possible?

Bob Morrison
Mosaic Commons Cohousing
Berlin, MA