Re: Governance & Income Inequality [ was Common house design, rooms, and room sizes?
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 05:12:00 -0800 (PST)
As much as I hate to disagree with my dear friend Liz, as the bookkeeper
and budgeteer allow me to...clarify.

Other than landscaping (which I would really like to move into the regular
HOA budget) all the standard condo expenses are in our HOA budget, which
includes all the stuff Liz mentions, AND heating the common house,
maintenance of all paths, exteriors, interior and exterior of the common
house, insurance, legal expenses, etc.  Other than that darn anomalous
landscaping, the cohousing budget is really optional.

Some things would get a little awkward...cohousing dues pay for the
electricity for the hot tub, which if you suddenly stopped heating it would
freeze and be damaged, so you'd have to drain it, things like that.

I've been one of the main people deciding which things go into which
budget, and (other than landscaping) it comes down to this: if we stopped
having a cohousing budget, we'd end up just a regular condo...fully
functional but without the extras that make cohousing what it is.  That's
the criteria I use.

(Well...I mean money wise. Obviously we would still have neighborliness and
consensus and all that.  The true hurt of cohousing is the community, not
money.)

As a budgeteer, I don't try to "push as much as we can into the cohousing
budget".  In fact, I'd really really like to get landscaping into the HOA
Budget so that we really honestly could say that the cohousing budget is
optional.  It didn't happen this year because 1, for personal reasons I
didn't have the energy to push it, and 2, we saw a sharp hike in HOA fees
this year and no one really wanted to make that worse than it was. Next
year, if I have the focus and will to live, I will bring it up again.

(For the record, our HOA budget is about 8 times what our cohousing budget
is.  If you are really curious, I'd be happy to share the budgets...they
aren't confidential)

Diana