Re: Governance & Income Inequality [ was Common house design, rooms, and room sizes?
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 10:42:31 -0800 (PST)
"our dues increase is based on the current CPI or COLA."

Do you never have expenses that increase more than inflation?

This year we saw a big jump in HOA dues in large part because of a big jump
in a couple specific expenses beyond our control: one, here in MA the
electric rates for 2015 were raised by about 30%; and the state regulations
for management of municipal water treatment (which govern the system we
have here) were changed in a ways that required is to hire a new contractor
to manage our water supply...and the new contractor was significantly more
expensive than the previous one.

A COLA increase would simply not have covered our mandatory expenses this
year.

To correct your read of prior emails, no one person in our community gets
to SET the budget; the whole community consenses on it.  But the Trustees
are responsible for putting together a budget for consensus, and until this
year the Trustee who was primarily responsible for doing this job was me.
The whole community would then review and discuss and propose changes and
all that, but my experience is that most people are not very interested in
numbers and budgets, so there are rarely major changes to the budget the
Trustees propose before consensus. (One of many reasons I left my position
as a Truatees is my frustration with what seems to me to be a general lack
of interest by both other Trustees and our community as a whole in the
subject of money, which I consider very important to the community.  And I
have little patience for people complaining about how high the condo fees
are, but not being actively engaged in the process of setting them.)

Diana