Re: Two monthly fees: Homeowners (HOA) and CoHo Assn
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 06:14:59 -0800 (PST)
To be clear almost no cohousing community has two separate fees like ours. We
were mandated by the state (or town? details aren't my strength) to make it so
the affordable buyers didn't have to "join" anything if they didn't want to.

AND we are two coho's on the same land, each with different solutions to that
requirement.
Camelot Cohousing rolled everything into HOA dues and said, there, there is no
reason to "join" anything.
Mosaic made two separate fees, with the smaller coho amount on a sliding scale,
in an effort to have a sliding scale component to our fees. (We had planned to
have our HOA dues sliding scale, before we understood that that was legally
impossible or impractical or both.)

On the "truly voluntary" yes, you can really choose not to pay them. We were
required to make it so they can use the Common house (they own part of it, of
course). But the reality of our situation is we are not near public
transportation, by the time we were selling our "affordable homes" cost the
same as a depressed market city townhome, and we are far from Boston...so the
only people who wanted affordable homes here were people who were looking for
cohousing. So its really voluntary in that people choose where they are on the
sliding scale, but no one chooses not to join. (Actually so far I believe the
only people who didn't join were market rate buyers who never moved in.)

I think the valuable question is "what did urban locations who have low HOA
fees do to make them low"? Because our high HOA fees certainly hurt our sales.
(We have the highest fees around and there were several non-buyers who
mentioned the HOA cost as prohibitive.)

-Liz
www.mosaic-commons.org
Berlin, MA almost rural cohousing