Re: Two monthly fees: Homeowners (HOA) and CoHo Assn
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 06:42:57 -0800 (PST)
First off:  What’s “high”?  What’s “low”?  This kind of qualitative debate
suffers enormously from lack of quantitative input.  Some at Cornerstone think
our annual assessments are “high” — but we have at least one member who moved
here after living in a variety of conventional condo situations, and thinks our
assessments are quite “low”.  For instance, we self-manage and self-account,
which saves us at least $12K a year, probably more.

But on average, cohousers should expect their common expenses to be “high”.
This is why they moved to cohousing:  Not for the biggest, bestest private
units they could afford, but for a collaborative lifestyle inclusive of certain
kinds of sharing.  The spaces in common, the activities in common, cost money
to build and sustain — unlike, for instance, you grandfather’s condo, which had
little in common other than the stairs.

Does this impede marketability and sales?  Absolutely, positively it does.
Most Americans do not want any part of the intentional community lifestyle.  So
right off the bat, any coho, by aim and choice, has directed its real estate
asset to a narrow market segment.  If many buyers walk away from a coho
purchase, it’s not because the HOA assessments are “too high”, but rather
because these assessments pay for a product that is not wanted.  Except by a
minority of buyers.

I think CohoUS could do us a service by collecting and compiling real financial
information from established communities.

RPD