Re: cohousing equal access - equal opportunity?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:46:02 -0800 (PST)
> On Feb 16, 2015, at 3:45 PM, Thomas Lofft <tlofft [at] hotmail.com> wrote:

> Otherwise, how do we apportion unequal numbers, sizes, or locations of
> facilities? Often, it is by "first invested gets first choice"---- the
> principle being recognized in this criterion is that the persons invested
> first are taking the greatest risk. Accordingly, they also may get first
> priority in selection of the unit they desire, the parking space they
> acquire,  or their choice of other limited availability or preferential
> choice opportunities. And once they have that right, they may convey it as a
> negotiable opportunity to any other party of their own choice.

Always there will be differences and choices, but 15 years down the line, some
newer residents think it should not have been allowed to happen that one person
would have a huge basement storage space all to herself, others have small
plots of ~40 square feet, and others none. They have that because they bought
-- or didn't buy -- that much space when they moved in.

The people who came later had no choice. And didn't know that when they
purchased their units. While they understand the reasons, it still seems unfair
and a bad decision.

it would have been better to have a more balanced division of space to the
extent that it could have been done.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines