Re: cohousing equal access - equal opportunity?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 16:00:38 -0800 (PST)
> On Feb 16, 2015, at 6:38 PM, R Philip Dowds <rpdowds [at] comcast.net> wrote:
>
> But but but … When we moved in, we knew that some units were much bigger than
> ours, and some had yard / garden opportunities that ours did not … and we
> eventually found out that that one unit had a woodburning stove, and another
> had a whirlpool tub, and we sure didn’t.  But so what?  We want and expect
> diversity, Yes?  We did not expect absolute identity among all the units.
> The important part for us was, Did we know what we were getting, and was this
> OK?

Of course. But those things can be changed. They are inside your unit. Basement
space can't. People have feelings that are not logical. They still feel
deprived.

It isn't enough to say the first people have advantages because they took the
risk. 15 years down the line, no one sees that risk. It's invisible.

My last post on this. I'm just advising new communities to think about this.
And obviously it won't always work.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines