Re: Two monthly fees: Homeowners (HOA) and CoHo Assn
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 12:12:26 -0800 (PST)
TECHNICALITIES:
Regional variances in cost of living are readily findable on line, and could be
factored into the community reports, if more precision is desired.
The real baseline accounting metrics, meaningful across all communities, are
dollars per household (dwelling unit), and dollars per resident (including
tenants and dependents).
One way to get assurance of comparability is to ask for data from the most
recently completed fiscal year (calendar year 2014 for most, but perhaps not
all, communities), such as:
annual operating assessment, broken into ..
administrative;
utilities;
employee(s), if any;
etc, etc …
reserve assessment for that year (if any), plus …
reserve balance at close of year;
special project (capital improvement) assessment, if any … and so on …
IMPLEMENTATION:
I could design, administer and analyze a survey like this as a pilot.
If it looks likes it’s working, the pilot could be embedded in a permanent
self-reporting on line site.  BUT …
BUT:  I am just some guy, and would not wish to flail away at this as a
self-appointed lone ranger.  I would need formal sponsorship of the CohoUS
Board, and some collaborators from elsewhere in the extended community would
certainly be a good idea.  If the Board is interested in this project, it could
ask me/us for a written proposal, and then, if it still made sense, endorse the
project and provide advocacy for our effort.  (Right now, I don’t see it as
costing any money.)
RPD