Re: The Future of Cohousing-L mailing list
From: Eris Weaver (eriserisweaver.info)
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 11:32:36 -0800 (PST)
I find this conversation very interesting, and I'm not sure whether I think the
list would be better served by becoming part of Coho/US or staying independent.

My experience of association-based lists is similar to Sharon's. Since the
early nineties, I've been a subscriber to more emails lists than I can count on
a wide variety of topics; and I've belonged to a large number of associations,
mostly professional. The volume and vitality of the independently run lists has
overwhelmingly surpassed that of the association-based lists.

The professional associations generally limit discussion list access to
members. While I've never seen any formal censorship, folks just tend not to
get into involved conversations in those venues.

Of course, Coho/US is a different kind of association as it is not
membership-based. A membership-based association has an interest in getting &
keeping members by offering services that are not available to nonmembers.

If cohousing-l were to become a program/service of Coho/US, I doubt much would
change in the short term. Theoretically, though, at any point the Association
could decide to limit list memership, although I don't know why they would want
to unless they DID move to a membership model.

And of course any list managed by an individual could be altered or ended by
that individual.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

(typed on my tablet's teeny keyboard, so please excuse any typos)
eris [at] erisweaver.info
707-338-8589

www.erisweaver.info