Re: Paying Teenagers
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 09:50:22 -0800 (PST)
If it's a one-time ask ("I'm not feeling well, any chance you could take my
trash out?") I wouldn't expect to pay a teen any more than I would an adult.

If it's an ongoing thing ("Can you come by to take my trash out every
Thursday?") then payment seems totally reasonable.

Also, does the kid actually get to say no?  There's a difference between
you asking a kid you have a relationship with to help you out, and you
asking the *parent* to ask the kid...where the parent is actually going to
say "Joey, go help Sharon with her trash"...it's an expectation that Joey
is just going to do it because Mom told him to.  Those feel very different
to me.

I have teens, and at a certain age I expect them to start contributing
(like this year, I expected/insisted that they help with the endless snow
clearing, and also with the community wide "work day" a month ago).  I
wouldn't expect the community or any individual outside our family to pay
them for that.

But if they are asked to take on tasks above and beyond what a community
member would be asked to do, then payment would be appropriate.

Lots of folks pay here our teens for help with babysitting, pet sitting,
etc. and it seems appropriate to me because they want someone that is
committed to helping, not just a one-off or casual stop by.

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Sharon Villines <sharon [at]
sharonvillines.com