Re: Paying Teenagers
From: Jessie Kome (jehakome.com)
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 06:35:13 -0800 (PST)
Hi-

Both my kids grew up in Cohousing. The younger one is almost 21 now and can't
remember much outside Cohousing. Both kids have done lots of free things for
the community, and been paid for some things. When we first moved in to Eno
Commons, Harry was 3 and he wanted a drum set. looking for a deterrent, I told
him I would split the cost with him. Dern if he didn't find neighbors to pay
him to bring their papers to their doors in the morning and to take trash to
the dumpster.

Our daughter Georgia participated in cooking teams starting before Eno Commons
move in. At 5, she loved making pancakes and got pretty good at it. By the time
she was a teen, she could cook anything, and specialized in awesome vegan
cupcakes. She cooked for free, and charged for babysitting. But she charged
community members less than the going rate, reasoning that that was both a
community contribution and a way to corner the market. And she would do short
sits for free, say for a new mom who just wanted a nap or shower. She also
charged for pet- and house-sitting, again at a cut rate.

Neither Eastern Village Cohousing, where I live now, or Eno Commons, where we
lived until 2002, had formal policies around paying kids for some work. It just
evolved.

What advantage does anyone see to making policy in this area?

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where, just for the fun of it, a bunch of little kids shoveled us out from our
last storm."

Sent from my iPad