Re: Paying Teenagers
From: Matt Lawrence (matttechnoronin.com)
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 06:59:19 -0800 (PST)

On 02/28/2015 09:20 AM, Sharon Villines wrote:
I'm conflicted about the issue of paying teenagers to help with tasks that an
adult community member would just do for me, like taking out my trash and
recycling when I'm sick. Running across the street to the market. Helping me
repot plants. Break up the ice in my parking space.

It seems clear that if I ask a 15-year-old to come work for an hour or two to
help with chores that I would pay them. But if another person would just clear
off the snow on my car gratis or grab my trash when taking out theirs, should I
pay a teenager to do it?

Since I want teenagers to feel more like members of the community, why not
expect them to be part of the community?
Unlike the adults in the community, the teens are there involuntarily. It is easy to treat them as slave labor rather than helpful neighbors.

So there's another viewpoint to consider.

-- Matt