Rocky Corner Cohousing Communications
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 08:33:22 -0800 (PST)
Rocky Corner Cohousing has a wonderful practice that I’ve not been aware that
other communities follow. Instead of sending business meeting minutes to just
their committed members, they send them to their whole mailing list. This is
incredibly inclusive and informative.

It allows all those lurkers to understand the community and to trust it so they
feel more comfortable joining. People will lurk for a long time before stepping
in to get more active. Partly because their lives are too busy to take on an
iffy project and partly because collaborative housing is something they have
never considered. It takes time to get the drift of it.

The fear that people will just lurk and not join if they have access to
information without joining, I think is an unfounded fear. No controlled
studies on this but I can’t imagine that any one would join a community just to
get another set of minutes in their inbox.

Exclusive communications don’t create inclusive communities.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Sociocracy: A Deeper Democracy